Exhilarating Roatán: WHAT WE LOVE ABOUT HONDURAS #2
Whether you’re already heading to Honduras for business or pleasure, or you are seeking a relaxing, off-the-beaten-path tropical island, you should absolutely check out one of our favorite destinations in Honduras: Roatán. Trust us: we live and work in Honduras. Roatán is a very special place.
Roatán is an island about 40 miles off the coast of Honduras in the Caribbean. It springs from the sea atop an ancient coral reef, the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef, the second largest in the world. This leads to mind-blowing scuba and snorkeling in the clear blue waters surrounding the island.
Getting to Roatân
Getting to the island is easy. There are two ferries a day that will take a little over an hour, and there’s direct international service from North and Central America. A full listing of passages to the island paradise can be found here.
Once you’ve booked your trip, you’ll find many hotels, most clustered around Roatán’s beautiful beaches. Whether a full resort or a simple beachside B&B are what you’re looking for, you’ll find them.
Here are our favorite things to do when we visit Roatan:
- Diving. As noted, Roatán is on the world’s second-largest coral reef and the diving is spectacular. If you’re already dive-certified, you may find yourself spending all of your time in Roatan underwater. But, if you’re not, no worries – you can also take classes to prepare for your scuba adventures.
- Snorkeling. If you’re visiting a coral reef for the first time, you can get a lot of the WOW! of diving without all the gear by snorkeling. There are lots of places to rent flippers and snorkels and even reef tours that assure you’ll see fish of every color you can imagine. Don’t forget your waterproof sunscreen and a friend to put it on your back.
- Glass-bottom tour boats. In the hierarchy of exploring the reefs in comfort, glass-bottom boats are at the top. See all the undersea action without jumping in the water. It’s an experience that we’ll always remember.
- Dolphin encounters. Yep. You’ve been dreaming of this moment since you were 7. And here in Roatan, you can actually take a dip with Flipper and his many friends.
- Zip lining. When you do get out of the water, try what we tried: zip lining in the tree canopy. Even if you have a fear of heights, you should try this. Once you’re strapped in and soaring in the treetops, you’ll realize that this is a feeling that you’ve never experienced ever in your life.
Take it from us: Roatán belongs on your Caribbean bucket list!
There’s more to love about Honduras!
For more information on how to become more competitive in your marketplace, call us at 866.353.8810